Bayern Munich director Hasan Salihamidzic has confirmed that the club had a meeting with the representatives of RB Leipzig defender Dayot Upamecano.
The Frenchman has been a key player for Leipzig this term and he has helped them preserve the best defensive record in the Bundesliga (only 17 goals conceded from 19 games).
It was recently reported that Salihamidzic had held a secret meeting with the player’s agents as Bayern look to gain advantage in the race to sign the central defender.
In an interview with Sky Sport Deutschland, the Bayern chief has confirmed that there have been talks and the club are ‘thinking’ about the player, he told: “Of course we are thinking about him. We had a good meeting with his agents yesterday. Let’s see what happens.”
Upamecano entered the final 12 months of his Leipzig contract last summer before he was convinced to sign an extension until June 2023. However, the deal has a £38m release clause which will become active at the end of the season.
Meanwhile, Bayern are bracing for the departure of David Alaba after a breakdown in contract talks. Alaba is likely to leave on a free transfer when his contract expires in June. Jerome Boateng could similarly leave with the hierarchy yet to negotiate a fresh deal for him.
Stats from Transfermarkt.com
- Bundesliga’s Top 5 Players Since January 2021
- Karl-Heinz Rummenigge says Chelsea, Liverpool are interested in Dayot Upamecano
- Top contenders for 2020/21 Golden Shoe: Lewandowski, Haaland, Salah and more
- Bayern Munich director confirms meeting with Dayot Upamecano’s agents
- Bayer Leverkusen set to sign Jeremie Frimpong from Celtic